Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Ultra Flash Evo build thread +

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Ultra Flash Evo build thread +

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 03:02 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My choice of servos start with what I can get in HV, and I will never go back to standard voltage servos ever again.
I've used MKS servos in my Pilot 103 Slick, and even some Bluebird servos in my Odyssey. Bluebird servos have come a long way. Don't rule those out.
I'm not attached to any one brand, and will check out anything if the specs align with what I'm looking for.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:17 PM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually, CARF uses an epoxy / fiberglass layup which is vacuumed bagged in a mold. The only thing is that they are using some rohacell instead of some balsa to give the layup some thickness. The rohacell is a type of foam but it is sandwiched between some epoxy / glass layers. See https://www.azom.com/materials-video...spx?VidID=3116

Originally Posted by essyou35
There is a very light layer of fiberglass on the seams is all I see. But my point is that is not a epoxy resin/fiberglass layup. Not saying its not safe, it just much weaker than glass in terms of rash resistance. Its like handling a foamy you have to be careful.

My old JL 1.9m viper is heavy glass and rock solid bullet proof more my style!
Old 10-17-2022, 10:01 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by acw
Actually, CARF uses an epoxy / fiberglass layup which is vacuumed bagged in a mold. The only thing is that they are using some rohacell instead of some balsa to give the layup some thickness. The rohacell is a type of foam but it is sandwiched between some epoxy / glass layers. See https://www.azom.com/materials-video...spx?VidID=3116
If you consider a single layer 1/8 oz glass a fiberglass jet, whatever. I call it a foamy. Dents like foam too.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:04 PM
essyou35

I bought a rebel pro recently and Im not a fan of it. Its foam, and very light an weak. A bouncy landing broke the nose off because I put too much weight up there. I dont have this jet in hand until Thursday but I was told by carf they are all made the same. They are NOT glass jets. I wish they were. I have glass jets, there is a distinct difference. I build things out of glass, been repairing glass. The rebel needed a different approach to fixing it as the foam turns into dust.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:06 PM
essyou35

Per carf and my email to them:

Hi Joey,

Essentially yes. All use a foam/epoxy/carbon/wood construction.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 11, 2022, at 2:40 PM, Joey Thompson wrote:
>
> 
> Hi Mike, are all the carf jets made out of the same stuff (Airex?)
>
>
Old 10-18-2022, 04:56 AM
jvaliensi

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

essyou35 - did you ask CARF if they would make you a heavy duty model? I had a similar complaint with another maker and they agreed to make me a stronger and more durable fuselage.

I tend to beat the crap out of my models in the shop, and I have not dented my Ultra Flash. It seems plenty strong.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:36 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jvaliensi
essyou35 - did you ask CARF if they would make you a heavy duty model? I had a similar complaint with another maker and they agreed to make me a stronger and more durable fuselage.
I'm sure they could build in some extra armor.
Something like a layer of balsa between the glass lay up, soaked with a pound and a half of epoxy.
Oh wait, that sounds familiar 😉
Old 10-19-2022, 12:29 PM
essyou35

These MKS servos sure do look nice, came in fancy packaging as well.
The HBL550s will go on the ailerons and elevator, and my hitec D950TW will go on the rudder, steering and flaps. It will give me some comparison in the long term.

I got a power box pioneer today and was shocked at how small it is, Im impressed. That may be my new go to.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:12 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 160 Likes on 143 Posts

These MKS servos sure do look nice, came in fancy packaging as well.
The HBL550s will go on the ailerons and elevator, and my hitec D950TW will go on the rudder, steering and flaps. It will give me some comparison in the long term.

I got a power box pioneer today and was shocked at how small it is, Im impressed. That may be my new go to.
The 550 are nice I use them in my CARF dg800 wings, but you got to realize that those are in the low end of the MKS.

They are my go servo for steering, cheaper then my previous one, the HBL950…..I used a lot of the upper line and they are nicer if it’s possible….the 550 will serve you well in this application.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:41 PM
essyou35

Just to follow up and eat a little crow about the flash,

I got my flash and have been assembling it. It is built way stronger than my rebel. While it does use a foam, it seems to have a thicker glass layer on it.

As an example, I had flamout with my rebel and had to gear up land it, dented the leading edge of the wing. To fix it, I had to cut a small access hatch on the bottom of the wing to reach the inside of the leading edge for repair. I literally did this with an exacto knife and it cut it like butter.

On my JL viper I had a similar repair and I have to use a dremel cutting wheel. The exacto knife works nice as there is no material loss so thats a plus.

I havent tested it yet on the flash, but rubbing alcohol will remove the paint on the rebel as well.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:56 AM
essyou35

Me and electric retracts do not mix. I already burned up my gear controller because I plugged the brake into the retract slot. The brown and black wires look the same to me and I had them switched.
JP ER-150 I see they have a knock off on amazon, where can I get a new one?
Old 10-25-2022, 10:04 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Me and electric retracts do not mix. I already burned up my gear controller because I plugged the brake into the retract slot. The brown and black wires look the same to me and I had them switched.
JP ER-150 I see they have a knock off on amazon, where can I get a new one?
Electron retracts are night and day difference over JP. After my first set of Electron’s that’s all I recommend or buy anymore.
Old 10-25-2022, 10:20 AM
essyou35

I just ordered two from Europe. I can probably fix my current one.
Old 10-25-2022, 11:16 AM
essyou35

I also found one a fanjet USA. I should have gotten eletron but I also burned up my electron controller because I shared a common ground thinking they were PWM. Not eltrons fault at all, but me and eletric retracts dont mix! I like air retracts.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:26 PM
essyou35

Got 4 gear controllers now, should keep me flying for a while.
Curious, how does this stock tank work? If its 1/2 full and I do a nose down dive, wont it be sucking air? Im fighting this issue with another jet that has no baffles and solution was to ensure the clunk to reach the front.
Im using the Itrap 50 (175ml) so I have some room.

Old 11-01-2022, 03:06 AM
Dansy

Got 4 gear controllers now, should keep me flying for a while.
Curious, how does this stock tank work? If its 1/2 full and I do a nose down dive, wont it be sucking air? Im fighting this issue with another jet that has no baffles and solution was to ensure the clunk to reach the front.
Im using the Itrap 50 (175ml) so I have some room.
‘That’s very normal……but there something in your setup on the pro that don’t add up…..not sure what, but I have never seen it that bad, a little air after an flight with aerobatic is pretty normal….
Old 11-01-2022, 04:05 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts

The main tank with the flat bottom does cause issues at low fuel - I had the Jet Tech version of the tanks - I can't remember if it had a baffle - I don't think so.

I badly damaged my UF on finals when the engine didn't respond to the throttle and I landed heavily short of the runway. I had about 40oz of fuel remaining and it was sucking a lot of air and it was on the brink of flaming out, but was continuing to run roughly.

I normally landed at around 50oz remaining, but cut it a little short that flight and it bit. I always landed with more than 50oz remaining after that. Bingo fuel alarm was set at 60oz. I still managed 7 min flights with a Merlin 140, using the main and 2 saddle tanks.

Paul
Old 11-01-2022, 05:26 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by JSF-TC
The main tank with the flat bottom does cause issues at low fuel - I had the Jet Tech version of the tanks - I can't remember if it had a baffle - I don't think so.

I badly damaged my UF on finals when the engine didn't respond to the throttle and I landed heavily short of the runway. I had about 40oz of fuel remaining and it was sucking a lot of air and it was on the brink of flaming out, but was continuing to run roughly.

I normally landed at around 50oz remaining, but cut it a little short that flight and it bit. I always landed with more than 50oz remaining after that. Bingo fuel alarm was set at 60oz. I still managed 7 min flights with a Merlin 140, using the main and 2 saddle tanks.

Paul
Using the CMJet Main tank with a CARF wing tank, my friend never had a problem with the one I build…..don’t remember if it had a baffle….using a k120, upgrade to a K142…amd I think will be upgrade again with a K160 LOL …….all Festo line and quick fitting.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:29 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Festo quick fittings

Be careful with festo quick fittings in the suction side of you fuel system, especially between your last tank / uat and the pump.

They can, and they will leak.

I've had it happen: there was a tiny bit of air accumulating in my fuel filter just before the pump. The festo vacuum filter lets you monitor that.
No visible air leak could be seen, but the air bubble in the filter grew ever so slightly after every flight.

After converting to solid connections, no more air in the fuel filter.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:48 AM
essyou35

I only used barbed fittings, but the tank clunk is setup with zip ties not safety wire so I wanted to question it.
I only fly 4 minutes and land but I do a lot of inverted and dives.
Ive never had an issue EVER except my rebel pro which is crazy given its the simplest fuel system ever!
Old 11-01-2022, 12:13 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by Rudeboy
Be careful with festo quick fittings in the suction side of you fuel system, especially between your last tank / uat and the pump.

They can, and they will leak.

I've had it happen: there was a tiny bit of air accumulating in my fuel filter just before the pump. The festo vacuum filter lets you monitor that.
No visible air leak could be seen, but the air bubble in the filter grew ever so slightly after every flight.

After converting to solid connections, no more air in the fuel filter.
Nope they don’t leak at all….been using only that for years……they do need to be cut square, I have the Festo cutter so no problems

On the other end those Festo filter are the worst possible filter for our use…
Old 11-03-2022, 10:14 AM
essyou35

It looks like the rudder servo mounts rightside up (top pointing towards top of vert fin) so there is no way to put screws in to hold it. You guys just using bolts and nuts to hold it in place? I could just put he top of the servo in the mount and put screws form the bottom but Im considering jut making a hatch and doing it right with screws.

Last edited by essyou35; 11-03-2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:08 AM
acw

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Just slide the servo, top towards the tip of the fin but with the top of the servo against the plywood. Use wood screws as usual.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:09 AM
PowerDrum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone tell me what JR servo replaced the JR DS8411 , I need 2 new ones to be replaced in my older Ultra Flash?

Thx!!
Old 11-03-2022, 11:30 AM
essyou35

Originally Posted by acw
Just slide the servo, top towards the tip of the fin but with the top of the servo against the plywood. Use wood screws as usual.
Seems ghetto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.