Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

M-?? Tank with gyro throttle = Autonomous hill climb

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

M-?? Tank with gyro throttle = Autonomous hill climb

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 06:34 AM
modler

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default M-?? Tank with gyro throttle = Autonomous hill climb

This idea comes from when I was a kid and on the weekends my brother Andy and I would go to work with Dad at Aberdeen proving grounds and hang around the Tank area that was used to evaluate aspects of the Tanks in the inventory on a "Test Track". This experience led to the interest in Tanks that I still have today many years later......anyway

I built this simulated hill for my 1/35 models to climb and evaluate the gradient ability along with yaw control on a narrow path. If one is lacking model Tank driving skill and goes off the edge, model in question could suffer damage. So for a Tank to be able to climb this hill autonomously with precise control of the yaw as well as pitch axis throttle control. So the speed is regulated by a gyro.

In other words, the Tank is doing the driving from where I left off staying on the course that was last manually entered and doing it autonomously under gyro control sort of like an auto pilot..

Hill climb video

Last edited by modler; 06-30-2022 at 07:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MAUS45 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 01:12 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Your tank is the Leopard A1 1/35 from Tamiya, nice video, thanks for sharing!!!
Old 06-30-2022, 02:04 PM
modler

Originally Posted by MAUS45
Your tank is the Leopard A1 1/35 from Tamiya, nice video, thanks for sharing!!!

I have a NOS one in the box and I opened it just now and looked and you are right.

Here is another video. In this one, I set the course, and it climbs a hill and then continues on course until I give it the STOP command with a quick throttle down stick

NOS Leopard motorized remote control 1/35 Tank
Old 06-30-2022, 02:19 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Those are cool tanks. I recall that kit. I am building up one in 1/16 right now though I have not started a thread on it yet.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:52 PM
modler

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Those are cool tanks. I recall that kit. I am building up one in 1/16 right now though I have not started a thread on it yet.
Actually I thought someone might be interested in how This Tank is dong what it does, "Climb a hill autonomously". The Tank is a beater I bought used on ebay so I was not certain as to what it was but now it is obvious. I had a Tamiya 1/16 Leopard decades ago and you would think that I would have recognized this thing. I bought just for the metal gearbox and really did not think much of the model. It is now in the scrap model tote as I have stripped the drive line and electronics for another model. the tracks were unstable in turning as the track length is long with 7 road wheels.

Anyway, this Tank after the course is set with both Throttle speed and yaw direction, will maintain that course despite inclines and or changes in the roll axis autonomously seems like a pretty good trick to me. I have not seem another model Tank do that. This came about from a Tiger Tank build years ago that could compensate the throttle in a closed loop circuit that acted like a speed control and maintained forward speed despite inclines in the pitch axis. It was an analog circuit added to a ESC that was a bit complex and I scrapped it due to its complexity. In the mean time, I found a way to do the same thing even better in 3 axis with gyro stabilization in a compact circuit board ready to go massed produced that is relatively cheap. It is limited to 1s but could be modified for 2s.

I am a retired electrical designer and get carried away with this sort of thing. The one thing that has really improved in this world in a really short time is electronics.

I just looked at the title of this thread and I guess it is obvious I don not care much about the Tank itself as I called it M ?? Tank lol

Last edited by modler; 07-01-2022 at 05:07 AM.