Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF-Models Mig 17 build thread

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF-Models Mig 17 build thread

Old 02-23-2022, 03:26 AM
Edhamp

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Dave Wilshere;12716820]Ed
Initial thought was just to use a Mercury. The gear doors are handled by the Electron controller so 15 outputs is plenty. But I might also use it as a reason to use an SR2 and iSat.

Nothing wrong with the Mercury combined with RS2000 (15 outputs never seems enough for scale jets with doors, airbrakes, lights etc etc) but agree good reason to go with the SR2. As you have an RS2000 I would still use that for the doors etc (the Powerbox sequencers on SR2 or Core are OK but a bit fiddly compared to the RS2000). I ve not tried a Pioneeer myself so cannot comment but think on a large jet like this a regulated SR2 would be my choice. As you know the SR2 has a super screen (optional once set-up) compared to the tiny screen with the Mercury and most menus apart from sequencer can also be accessed directly from Core which makes fine tuning gyro easier. If I remember correctly I think the spec is better too as regards power handling etc. You can always use the redundant sequencer and spare outputs on the SR2 to animate that great looking pilot ??!
Old 02-23-2022, 05:32 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

Would always use the Electron sequencer, it protects the gear and has worked flawlessly in my Mephisto and Bolt.

Not into animation on the pilots, but there are many options for using the tech available without complicating things
Old 02-23-2022, 06:50 AM
Edhamp

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only joking about the pilot! Enjoy putting your new jet together, looks a real masterpiece from CARF and very much looking forward to see it close up in the flesh at Elvington this summer.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:21 PM
jackdiazccs

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Dave, are you going to have REVOC bags made for your MIg ?
I asked them for a set, but they don't have the dimensions, and I haven't got my kit yet.

Thanks

Jack Diaz
Old 02-23-2022, 02:21 PM
Dave Wilshere

Jack I was going to go that route, but Brexit makes dealing with Europe such a pain I went the easy route and sent my CARF bags to a U.K. manufacturer. If Revoc can’t get sizes I’ll send my other spare bags to them to size for you.
Actually need the fin bag back from the U.K. guys as only have one fin bag!

Dave
Old 02-23-2022, 04:35 PM
jackdiazccs

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks a lot Dave.
I will be following this thread and asking often for your advise

Jack
Old 02-23-2022, 10:04 PM
Dave Wilshere

No problem, I’ve asked Andreas lots of questions over the last week, so I think I understand the task! They are working on a manual now so he was able to send some photos of bits I needed to work out.
Only real job with this level of kit is the cockpit installation and sliding mechanism. Andreas said it’s a lot of work to get it all lined up and working smoothly. My wing tanks came as an unpainted kit, so there is construction there, but he’s come up with a very clever way of installing them quickly.
They will need careful alignment, we have all flown aircraft with angled wing tanks!!
Old 02-24-2022, 12:53 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

There's a new post on CARF's FB page showing some new MiG-17 color schemes. Expecting to receive mine soon, possibly within a week or so!

Last edited by Airforce7; 02-24-2022 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 06:16 AM
Airforce7

Recently came across this video online of a new owner and thought I'd post it here. Has a nice mix of still images, setup, and flight video in this one.

Old 03-20-2022, 05:00 PM
Airforce7

Default MiG-17 Photos

After a long wait, it finally made it to my home. Here are some photos after I unboxed and put it together in the garage this weekend. Goes together rather easily, fit and finish is really amazing. Very happy with the kit thus far!

Old 03-20-2022, 08:08 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Looking good!! I'm jealous Pilot is a little small though.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:43 AM
Airforce7

Yes, the pilot is a little on the small size, but this was about as close as I could get with what I'm trying to do with this model. I did quite a bit of research on pilots and even reached out to Wilson at Tailored Pilots. He has a few very nice selections for this model, but ultimately, I couldn't get exactly what I wanted unless I did the mods myself. Plus, the lead time is incredibly long. Ended up going with the 1/4 scale Warbird Pilots pilot figure and was pleasantly surprised to see that CARF has the same pilot on their website now.
The following users liked this post:
jackdiazccs (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 09:26 AM
Dave Wilshere

Wilson did me a Pilot, perfect size. He’s slouched down a bit in these pics….poor posture like it’s owner 😉

Old 03-21-2022, 10:17 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Airforce7
Yes, the pilot is a little on the small size, but this was about as close as I could get with what I'm trying to do with this model. I did quite a bit of research on pilots and even reached out to Wilson at Tailored Pilots. He has a few very nice selections for this model, but ultimately, I couldn't get exactly what I wanted unless I did the mods myself. Plus, the lead time is incredibly long. Ended up going with the 1/4 scale Warbird Pilots pilot figure and was pleasantly surprised to see that CARF has the same pilot on their website now.
I'm curious, what is different about the 1/4 scale from Warbird Pilots compared to the 1/3-1/3.5 scale version they have? Or was it all about getting the correct helmet that Randy wears?
Old 03-21-2022, 12:34 PM
Airforce7

Originally Posted by Auburn02
I'm curious, what is different about the 1/4 scale from Warbird Pilots compared to the 1/3-1/3.5 scale version they have? Or was it all about getting the correct helmet that Randy wears?
Yes, mostly for the helmet. I may need to boost him up in the seat, but we'll see when the cockpit arrives. I also intend to make the patches for the flight suit.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:36 PM
Txmustangflyer

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

What, not maidened yet? Its a CARF, they go together in 3 hours...right? Whats takin so long?

(Grin)
Old 03-22-2022, 08:30 PM
Airforce7

Default Rudder servo installed

Managed to get the rudder servo installed. Linkage length slightly smaller at 67mm using a JR servo and Dubro arm. Had to sand the opening just a tad for the linkage to get on the rudder horn. Rudder travel is limited to about +/-30mm because of the step feature in the skin at the top corner. painted the horn with some silver paint. Adding the LED tail light looks like it will be a challenge.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:32 PM
Txmustangflyer

Managed to get the rudder servo installed. Linkage length slightly smaller at 67mm using a JR servo and Dubro arm. Had to sand the opening just a tad for the linkage to get on the rudder horn. Rudder travel is limited to about +/-30mm because of the step feature in the skin at the top corner. painted the horn with some silver paint. Adding the LED tail light looks like it will be a challenge.

Is it supposed to have more throw than that? Could remove a small amount of material at rudder centerline to clearance it if it needs more..give it room to pivot around the edge? Where the vertical fin skin just touches rudder leading edge..just shave enough that it just slides past with minimum clearance. If done carefully, would not affect the outer skin/finish of either the fin or rudder and shouldn't compromise the rudder LE but, if its not needed to throw further then ignore the suggestion.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 03-22-2022 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:44 PM
Airforce7

Originally Posted by Txmustangflyer
Is it supposed to have more throw than that? Could remove a small amount of material at rudder centerline to clearance it if it needs more..give it room to pivot around the edge? Where the vertical fin skin just touches rudder leading edge..just shave enough that it just slides past with minimum clearance. If done carefully, would not affect the outer skin/finish of either the fin or rudder and shouldn't compromise the rudder LE but, if its not needed to throw further then ignore the suggestion.
Plenty of throw. More of a heads up because one could damage that area maybe crack the skin if you drove the servo 100%. I reduced my servo travel to 75% in the Tx.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:45 PM
Txmustangflyer

Got it, wasn't sure if it needed it. If memory serves it didn't need much rudder at full scale either. I've read it could be...twitchy...

Old 03-24-2022, 10:23 PM
Airforce7

Default Elevator servo installation

Installed the recommended servo (Savox SV-1261MG) in the left elevator. Needed to file the mounting wood just a bit for the servo to press in cleanly. I had to reduce the recommended linkage length significantly to get it to the right length (48mm, pivot center to pivot center). My cover was missing a mounting hole so I drilled that to take advantage of the mounting block on the elevator side. The cover is supposed to lock down the servo but there’s a gap. I added some thick double sided foam tape to take up the gap spacing and allow the cover to press on the servo. There are some extra holes in the mounting wood and a suspect there should have been some sort of carbon fiber strap to lock down the servo with but it isn’t in the stab pack. What I’ve done is probably sufficient but I’m going to work on the right elevator and then come back and finalize everything. CA will be applied to the linkage threads at that time as well.

Old 03-25-2022, 07:17 AM
Txmustangflyer

Installed the recommended servo (Savox SV-1261MG) in the left elevator. Needed to file the mounting wood just a bit for the servo to press in cleanly. I had to reduce the recommended linkage length significantly to get it to the right length (48mm, pivot center to pivot center). My cover was missing a mounting hole so I drilled that to take advantage of the mounting block on the elevator side. The cover is supposed to lock down the servo but there’s a gap. I added some thick double sided foam tape to take up the gap spacing and allow the cover to press on the servo. There are some extra holes in the mounting wood and a suspect there should have been some sort of carbon fiber strap to lock down the servo with but it isn’t in the stab pack. What I’ve done is probably sufficient but I’m going to work on the right elevator and then come back and finalize everything. CA will be applied to the linkage threads at that time as well.

there should either be metal angles or wood blocks. From the look, it should be a metal angle that scres into the drilled hole, then the servo screws to the metal angle.
You could use CF to make the same, but in the cade of a servo, aluminum alloy.
if you have some aluminum angle around, not hard to make replacements.
If not, I'd hit up CARF to see if they can get whats proper to go there.
What you've done will get it flying, sure, but we're not talking a 40 mph cessna trainer here lol.
All thats being relied on to keep the servo in place is the screws thst hold the cover. Enough..probably, but definitely keep an eye on em till you hear from CARF.

The following 2 users liked this post by Txmustangflyer:
Halcyon66 (03-25-2022), Marcinek (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 09:59 AM
Dave Wilshere

Stop posting what you don’t know about…
The mounting method is correct, I do recommend a wood shim between the hatch and servo case, but the ply frame gives ample support, yiu can watch videos of the Migs flying to prove it.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:49 AM
Txmustangflyer

1. He stated that he might be missing parts.
2. From the picture,there is a predrilled hole that looks as though a part would mount to. If that is a ply frame, fine.
3. I suggested contacting ypu, Dave, to be sure.
4. I advised what he might be looking for in his partsbags
Nothing wrong with what I posted. As he is using double sided tape to secure the servo, not a ply frame, then even by your post, is not the reccomended method.
So, before you jump my ass for telling someone to contact CARF just to be sure, read more carefully. I never called into question the design.
Maybe its a good thing I decided to hold off on whats on my cart at CARF
Halcyon66 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 12:15 PM
Marcinek

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

For me this method of mounting the servo dont look trustworthy to, but your money your toys.
Halcyon66 (03-25-2022)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.