Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE Long term reliability ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:28 PM
ka9fax
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DLE Long term reliability ?

What!!! i just went to the site. 1.97 for a plug that i have been paying 8.00 from my HS? Looks to be the same, NGK cm6. Boy do i feel dumb[:@]
Tony
Old 07-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been flying gas a long time. 50cc and up. I have engines from most of the major makers, and work with all the rest. If I was looking for an engine I knew to be powerful and reliable but was concerned about the money, I would buy DLE over any other. I KNOW they are a good product. Better in power than the other "D" engines they compete against.

As for the reliability? DLE has had no more problems or issues than the so called super engines have. Many of the new engine buyers are not familiar with the history of some of the brand names. They all had problems. Some recalled every engine sold in class. The 100cc twins had other issues that required addressing. Some of the 150cc twins had specific issues. So don't look at DLE with suspicion because they had some early issues. So did all the others, as they still frequently do with their new releases.

It's not early anymore where DLE is concerned.

DLE is now a "Brand Name". Those choosing to ignore them in favor of previously established vendors, or refusing to acknowledge this fact, are either brand centric or less than intelligent. DLE no longer makes a 50. They make a 55. BME 58 beats it in power, with a 3w 55 and MVVS 58 winning in torque, but the other brand competitor loses in all of those areas against the DLE 55. Same applies to the 111. Both weigh a little more than a couple of oher engines in class, but they are lighter than others. I'll trade a couple of ounces for power any day. After about 3 years on the market my best guess is longevity is up there with all the rest.

BTW, I was one of those that rejected DL as just another cheap Chinese engine in the beginning and had no faith in the line. DLE proved me wrong. I've owned a 100 and still have a 111. I'll fly it with absolute trust, any day, in any plane it will fit.

Stop believing the expensive advertising and recognize the truth. DLE is here to stay and all the other vendors know this. The only thing I'd be certain to do with DLE is to purchase from a vendor known for their knowledge of the product and their history of serving their customers quickly with high satisfaction levels. Customer service is based on a couple of things, with the most important being the mindset of the vendor to maintain a happy customer base.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Vacaman

I can manage to escape from work and go flying 3 or 4 times per week. I fly freestyle mostly, and I try to use good reliable equipment becouse here we have limited sources to get rc stuff, and if anything fails, it can take a few weeks to get a replacement without spending a lot of money on curiers.
My point is that the dle 111 is the most powerfull, reliable and cost efective engine that I can get. There are other engines that can provide more power, but they cost a lot more. And my dle has been bulletproof.
And I own da engines also to compare with.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: ka9fax

What!!! i just went to the site. 1.97 for a plug that i have been paying 8.00 from my HS? Looks to be the same, NGK cm6. Boy do i feel dumb[:@]
Tony
Hey, no biggie, you didn't know. I try to tell everyone I know so they don't have to pay too much for the little plugs.
One of the guys saw the little red Honda boxes in my field box and asked what they were.
I told him to hold out his hand and I dropped one of the plugs in his hand. He was surprised to see a genuine NGK CM-6 drop out of a Honda carton.
It is really nice that I can order 5 of them and have them shipped to my door in 3 days for $11.60
Old 07-25-2010, 04:06 PM
ka9fax
My Feedback: (9)

Yep so kool WD. thanks for the great tip. im ordering a handfull tomorrow
tony
Old 07-25-2010, 04:18 PM
tojacobs

I have just made carb change,and I am have a little difficulty keeping the engine running.I am usuing a 20x8 prop,wondering if that is my issue?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:21 PM
pryor808

Are you talking about a DLE30 or the DLE55?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Eagleburger

Out of seven gas engines I have/had, the one DL I had(sold) is the only one that didnt require warranty or attention above normal setting needles etc.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I've been flying gas a long time. 50cc and up. I have engines from most of the major makers, and work with all the rest. If I was looking for an engine I knew to be powerful and reliable but was concerned about the money, I would buy DLE over any other. I KNOW they are a good product. Better in power than the other ''D'' engines they compete against.

As for the reliability? DLE has had no more problems or issues than the so called super engines have. Many of the new engine buyers are not familiar with the history of some of the brand names. They all had problems. Some recalled every engine sold in class. The 100cc twins had other issues that required addressing. Some of the 150cc twins had specific issues. So don't look at DLE with suspicion because they had some early issues. So did all the others, as they still frequently do with their new releases.

It's not early anymore where DLE is concerned.

DLE is now a ''Brand Name''. Those choosing to ignore them in favor of previously established vendors, or refusing to acknowledge this fact, are either brand centric or less than intelligent. DLE no longer makes a 50. They make a 55. BME 58 beats it in power, with a 3w 55 and MVVS 58 winning in torque, but the other brand competitor loses in all of those areas against the DLE 55. Same applies to the 111. Both weigh a little more than a couple of oher engines in class, but they are lighter than others. I'll trade a couple of ounces for power any day. After about 3 years on the market my best guess is longevity is up there with all the rest.

BTW, I was one of those that rejected DL as just another cheap Chinese engine in the beginning and had no faith in the line. DLE proved me wrong. I've owned a 100 and still have a 111. I'll fly it with absolute trust, any day, in any plane it will fit.

Stop believing the expensive advertising and recognize the truth. DLE is here to stay and all the other vendors know this. The only thing I'd be certain to do with DLE is to purchase from a vendor known for their knowledge of the product and their history of serving their customers quickly with high satisfaction levels. Customer service is based on a couple of things, with the most important being the mindset of the vendor to maintain a happy customer base.
Not to get into a brand war here, because I do own one of the original DL 100's, and it's been run a lot, and has performed flawlessly, but I'll put the DA 120 against the DLE 111 any day of the week. Lighter and defitnitly more power.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 PM
p51Dpony

DLE's have been making a good reputation for themselves no doubt but interestingly and nonrelavently folks have somehow in the discussing givin negative critique of DA engines..? where does that come from??  DA craftsmanship, performance, reliability and service are the gold standard to which we make our comparisons, all we can say then is the DLE's compare favorably to the gold standard, and  at this point in the game you can buy a DLE and not be taking too big a gamble with your money because most people are having good experiences with them.  If with a little more experience we can say without hesitation that DLE is as good as DA (several persons are claiming it already) then it will make sense to buy the cheaper which of course is DLE at this point.  [8D]

Old 07-25-2010, 11:34 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: p51Dpony

DLE's have been making a good reputation for themselves no doubt but interestingly and nonrelavently folks have somehow in the discussing givin negative critique of DA engines..? where does that come from?? DA craftsmanship, performance, reliabilityand serviceare the gold standard to which we make our comparisons, all we can say then is the DLE's compare favorably to the gold standard, and at this point in the game you can buy a DLE and not be taking too big a gamble with your money because most people are having good experiences with them. If with a little more experience we can say without hesitation that DLE is as good as DA (several persons are claiming it already) then it will make sense to buy the cheaper which of course is DLE at this point. [8D]

in this hobby, you buy power engines... not warranty or costumer service....they will not replace your airplane and electronics after a deadstick crash, so i guess we have a winner.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Tired Old Man

I don't know when and where truth became non relevant.

DLE is ahead of where DA was in their evolution in the first three years after initial product release. Is it possible to say that DLE has pretty much equalled DA? I'll go so far as to say in some areas they have exceeded them. I work with a lot of engines, but because of learning much about some products at work I cannot share the knowledge gleaned from that product. I can only relate what is learned with personally owned products. I can say that I own DA, 3w, DLE, BME, Brison, and a few other engine brands. I'm not sponsored by anyone, not paid to advertise by anyone, don't receive free products from anyone, nor do I sell any type of product, so I have nothing to gain with one over the other.

The only detractor from DLE is the lack of event sponsorship. Then again, I suppose that cuts a few hundred dollars off the cost of each engine, saving the customer money. Since service is generally the same when needed, there isn't much room left over to be cannonized about. If DLE started giving a fistful of engines away at IMAC contests and sponsored a few people with free engines they would likely suddenly have the same type of fan base some other companies have. Both companies make good products but the time has passed where one is superior to the other.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:41 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I have both, DA 100 and DL 100. Each have had one deadstick a piece. Both where user induced.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I can buy from a Chinese wholesaler...I can buy THREE 111s for the retail price of ONE DA 120...What's wrong with this picture ???
Warranty service ? ME..Think I can't do the work ? 24 YEARS experience with almost ALL small gassers now being sold...If I could buy from the DLE factory the number would likely be FOUR 111s....Think someone is getting bent over ???? I'm glad my working with gassers is almost over, 75 years old tomorrow, time to quit.(Again)....I said a few years ago that when the Chinese figure out they don't need a middleman it wpuld be over...Look around, gasser Armegeddon is almost here. ..Just remodeled my shop, cleaning out some (lots) of old used gassers, making space for my 78 Harley chopper...Live to ride, Ride to live...CIAO, baby...
Old 07-26-2010, 01:04 AM
Tired Old Man

Didn't happen to find an old 3w 56 crank in the pile by any chance? I have need of one.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:15 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great thread, reinforcing my belief that some engines have served their purpose and are now sold mostly for bragging rights.

DLE30 + Slipstream MX-S here I come
Old 07-26-2010, 03:52 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Antique

The 32 I sold have had 0 problems when the right owners got them..I bought a few back and resold all to Bill Carpenter...There were NO changes made to any part....He has flown ALL with no problems...There is NO problem with spare parts, all are readily available if needed and relatively inexpensive....A few issues get blown all out of proportion on this forum, you see it all the time...The DLE 30 lis one of the top performers in the size range....

Ralph, how does the DLE 30 stack up against my lightened and EI equipped Zenoah G26? TIA

Ed Cregger
Old 07-26-2010, 07:49 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

tired you hit the nail on the head.admittedly one thing I do like is that dle is marketing a 20cc motor .you can bet it will turn heads if its reliable and parts can be easily gotten.It made me reflect on my ealy days of learning rc with my mentor and late instructor Jim Messer back in olean ny.Back then he and a few others in our club experimented with giant engines.he tried webras and all sorts of chainsaw engines.then one of the guys george privateer got a hold of some information from a guy in canada about converting sthil chainsaw engines to 2 stroke gas engines,.all the kinks got worked out and jim had a smooth giant scale engine .yeah he was a pioneer and our club project was to build pups to take to rhinebeck back in the early 70's.gas engines took off and today big gas engines are very common.now dle has started doing something we all wanted with the 20cc and watch out 2 stroke glow.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Whistling Death

In this economy today DLE just makes good sense. I can get a DLE 55 delivered to my door step for $349.98 with a two year warranty and everything I need to install and fly it. The most expensive replacement part it the electronic ignition.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: NM2K

ORIGINAL: Antique

The 32 I sold have had 0 problems when the right owners got them..I bought a few back and resold all to Bill Carpenter...There were NO changes made to any part....He has flown ALL with no problems...There is NO problem with spare parts, all are readily available if needed and relatively inexpensive....A few issues get blown all out of proportion on this forum, you see it all the time...The DLE 30 lis one of the top performers in the size range....

Ralph, how does the DLE 30 stack up against my lightened and EI equipped Zenoah G26? TIA

Ed Cregger
Hopefully Ralph will answer but my guess is that your G26 stacks up quite well against it. As for me on the DLE issue, I can't wait to get my hands on one of the soon to be released DLE 20's.

Karol

Old 07-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Hello Ed, The G26 is almost as strong as the DLE30, about the same with the 18-6, a little less with larger props....
Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Tired Old Man

Happy Birthday Ralph!!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RC... Happy Birthday from me too. Have a good one. Capt,n
Old 07-26-2010, 12:10 PM
SukhoiKid
My Feedback: (15)

I was in this same problem a few weeks ago and decided on the DA-120. Yea I could have gotten two DLEs for the price I paid for the 120 but you CANNOT beat Desert Aircraft's customer service. They will do anything for you to get you back up in the air and they will do it the fastest. I do own a DLE 55 and a DL 50 and they do run great. Even after one time crashing it in the water doing stupid stuff, but if you do decided DLE change those spark plugs out first thing cause they are junk.

Personally if you have the money then go with DA.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:18 PM
jcvt
My Feedback: (2)

I am about to buy a dle 30, would it be a good match for sig four star 120.I want some good sport performance.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.