Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE Long term reliability ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:04 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DLE Long term reliability ?

ORIGINAL: JOHNS3D

i have a DLE55 for more than a year 0, ZERO, CERO deadsticks, a friend of mine has it for about the same time, i cant remember how many deadsticks he had....o wait at least i remember the 4 airplanes that he lost with that engine deadsticks.....
so you have a DL55 that runs great and your friend doesnt?
Old 07-24-2010, 12:26 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oo forgot..he has a DA lol
Old 07-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

I should put the word D<X> then :-).

Seriously, I thought this is an open, high-standand forum and one can AT LEAST voice positive opinion about a product. Am I right?
Maybe you just didn't understand the question. It was very simple and I understood it.
He simply asked about the reliability of the DLE line. I didn't see DA in there anywhere.
There are 3 of us that have DLE 55s at our field and they seem to run like a Swiss watch.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:49 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

I should put the word D<X> then :-).

Seriously, I thought this is an open, high-standand forum and one can AT LEAST voice positive opinion about a product. Am I right?
Maybe you just didn't understand the question. It was very simple and I understood it.
He simply asked about the reliability of the DLE line. I didn't see DA in there anywhere.
There are 3 of us that have DLE 55s at our field and they seem to run like a Swiss watch.
Read the original post. Did he mention DA engines?

Old 07-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Whistling Death

The title of the post.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:46 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

what is wrong with DA? LOL
Old 07-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Whistling Death

Jeesh dude this thread is about DLE reliability. Start another thread about DA if you want to talk about them.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Vacaman

I had the same question about dle engines longevity. I opted for the dle111 against other 100cc engines after my LHS start dealing them. Now it has aprox 7 month of use and more than 300 hard flights, and it is as good as new. If it hold on for at least 2 years I will be happy, more than that and I will be very happy.
I choose this engine becouse the power, reliability and price.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:13 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Vacaman

I had the same question about dle engines longevity. I opted for the dle111 against other 100cc engines after my LHS start dealing them. Now it has aprox 7 month of use and more than 300 hard flights, and it is as good as new. If it hold on for at least 2 years I will be happy, more than that and I will be very happy.
I choose this engine becouse the power, reliability and price.
300 flights in 7 months..............WOW, wish I had that much time to fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be a very good pilot.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:24 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

and how many can honestly afford that da word.I think its great that dle markets a 55 for the masses..it brings alot of flyers into the relam of realistically owning and flying a gasser.I scrimped six years ago to buy a 3w ..now with 30 and 55 dle available we can all have fun and not a elite few.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:23 PM
tranker
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death
<x>He simply asked about the reliability of the DLE line. I didn't see DA in there anywhere.
You may want to read it again.

Anyways, good to hear the DLE's are working well. My unmentionable brand of engine requires new ignitions often.
</x>
Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lumpy n bumpy

Hello... I've only been into gassers for the last year or so and have two 50cc Aeroworks planes that both run DA-50's. I'd like to move up to a 100cc plane next and am curious if anyone has any feedback regarding the long term reliability of DLE engines ? My concern is that although DLE's are cheaper [to buy] than DA's, they may not be cheaper to own in the long run if they don't have the reliability. I'm not opposed to spending more if it means quality... I'm just too poor to buy junk ! Thanks and any comments would be appreciated.
Here's the original post

It says he has two DA50's and he is asking about the reliability of the DLE's as he wants to move up to 100cc size

Old 07-24-2010, 10:52 PM
bentski

I have a DLE-111 in my H9 Extra 35% Extra 260, Un-freakin believeable performance on Klotz 32:1. I will buy DLE until I have a airframe bigger than DLE can power!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're going to need to go pretty big since they have a pretty good 222......
Old 07-24-2010, 11:57 PM
JFisher304
My Feedback: (2)

The 111's had some issues, but the 50/55 and 100 are GREAT motors. When (if) you do wear one out, replacement parts are cheap. I could afford to buy a DA, but I prefer the DLE. Of course I do all my own rebuild work, so I don't need DA's service that everyone raves about. My only problem with DL is that they do not make an 85cc motor.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

My 222 flys a 49 lb 3.3 Yak like a foamy....And make a 39 lb Extra ballistic....
Old 07-25-2010, 12:11 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

and how many can honestly afford that da word.I think its great that dle markets a 55 for the masses..it brings alot of flyers into the relam of realistically owning and flying a gasser.I scrimped six years ago to buy a 3w ..now with 30 and 55 dle available we can all have fun and not a elite few.
Exactly!

The cost of flying gassers has suddenly dropped so low that flying alky planes are expensive in comparison. There is also no longer the requirement to buy expensive "brand name" products to get reliable power. I like my "brand name" engines, but being able to have more planes for the same expense is a win-win. It is not that the DLE is just a little less costly, it is a LOT less costly. The wining mantra of great after sales support for the "brand name" is so much hot air. Most engines are wrecked in crashes before their warranty has expired anyway. Warranty usually does not cover crashes.

I own and use multiple "brand name" engines and do like them - I just won't ever buy them again, thanks to products such as DLE.

The "gotcha" is that not all inexpensive Chinese engines are the same. There are threads on this forum that tell a sorry tale of failures, both sad and dangerous. Do your research before you buy.

My 2c

Bliksem
(Proud owner & operator of multiple DLE's and other engines)

Old 07-25-2010, 01:03 AM
terryscustom

I have three DLE 55's and two 30's in service with two more 55's for this Winters projects. Of the 5 that are in use, none of them have hundreds of flights on them but they have been a pleasure to run. The only problem I had was on my first 30 (side carb version), I had a deadstick at a bad time. Turned out that I had forgotten to toss the spark plug that came with the engine and install an NGK CM6 plug[sm=sad_smile.gif] I got a new plug installed, and ordered the newly released rear carb conversion and it has run like a clock for more than 20 flights since.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Switch_639

is it nesecarry to replace the original plug with NGK CM6?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Airbear

I was going over some very old posts and in the beginning there was some questions about replacement parts and quite a few complaints about carb problems. I was just wondering if these have been taken care of. I,m planning on a 1/3 scale Spacewalker
to put it in I know its a bit of an over kill but better to much power than not enough.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The 32 I sold have had 0 problems when the right owners got them..I bought a few back and resold all to Bill Carpenter...There were NO changes made to any part....He has flown ALL with no problems...There is NO problem with spare parts, all are readily available if needed and relatively inexpensive....A few issues get blown all out of proportion on this forum, you see it all the time...The DLE 30 lis one of the top performers in the size range....
Old 07-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Airbear

Thanks for th quick reply I was thinking of the DL 50 since like I said better to much power than not enough. I,m kind of a power freak
I believe in killing a ant with a sledge hammer if you get my drift.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Switch_639

is it nesecarry to replace the original plug with NGK CM6?
As a general rule yes. Some hobby shops that sell DLE engines replace the plug themselves.
DLE must have a million of these stock plug. They can get the CM6 pretty cheap. Heck I get them from boats.net for less than $2.00 a piece.

BTW the fact that Ralph Cunningham uses them in his own planes should be evidence enough for anyone.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:58 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have three DL-50 engines and one DLE-55. Not a single deadstick in the bunch. Maybe next year I'll get around to mounting them on models and running them a bit.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 PM
pryor808

It's very simple..

If you are into this hobby for pleasure and, you want to get the best bang for you buck and, not a follower but, a leader, Get DLE. If you are the type of person that always wants the best brand and, money is not an issue and, want to go into DLE forums and, brag that you have a DA beacause you spent more money..by all means you are a DA customer. I have a DLE55 and, runs great! Now, I will buy a DLE anyday. make sure to properly break in and, use a good 2 cycle oil (not Amsoil) and, stick to 32:1 to 50:1 depending on the brand of oil you use. The engine will provide years of great power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.