Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Old 07-03-2008, 09:37 PM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

hmm, right now im actually using the symetrical blades, because thats all my hobby shop had, so that might even be why im having a hard time, I really didnt get to hover or try it out to much today, due to the soldering coming undone when I was like 2 minutes into trying to hover, so tommorrw I hopefully will have more time to do that. When flying your cp pro, can you do forward and such?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:39 PM
HeliStyle

or and is there a actual fm radio that I can lower the head speed with, and use with the stock reciever?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:49 PM
rotarydoc

HS,

Let me add a little more to this...my CPP flies pretty well. But, at a cost....remember, I bought the DX6i to calm the rotor head speed, and I also added a G110 gyro, flybar weights, heavier rotor blades, and alot of fine tuning. Add the prices up, and you'll see that it wasn't cheap. My CPP cost me $250, plus the DX6i, $190, plus the G110 gyro, $65, and about half a dozen or more tail motors...and you come up with $500 plus...

So, to sum it up....the CPP is a pretty wild bird right out of the box, it is intended for experienced pilots, even says so on the box. But, if, like I did, you take the proper steps to "detune" it, and calm it's hyper head speed down some, it becomes a pretty managable little heli.

I wish you could see mine fly, but I don't have any videos of it. It flies pretty smoothly, when it has a brand new tail motor, it is very sweet to fly, for about 3 battery packs, before the motor gets weak.

So, keep in mind, the CPP is not a bad heli, by any means. It's just geared towards more experienced pilots as it comes out of the box...

If you actually read the boxes for the CPP, and the B400, the CPP states (in fine print) "For experienced RC helicopter pilots 14 years of age and older"....but the B400 says in large type on the box "For intemediate to advanced pilots"....meaning that the B400 is actually suggested for a person with less advanced skills...and it is easier to fly.

Hope this helps explain it a little better.

Glenn
Old 07-03-2008, 09:56 PM
rotarydoc

HS,

Yeah, probably, but it would probably cost almost as much , if not more than the Spektrum 2.4 Ghz. If you are going to buy a radio, I would highly suggest a 2.4 Ghz unit. You'll be much better off in the long run. The great thing about the DX6i, is that you can put more models on it later. When I first bought mine, I didn't give this much thought. But, now, I have 5 models on mine, including the two B400's, and the two CPP's, and now, my CX2 as well. Keep in mind I had to buy a receiver for the second CPP, as it has an FM RX as you know...

And not to mention that the 2.4 Ghz radios are virtually glitch free...something that cannot be said for any FM radio...
When you look at it, the DX6i is a very sweet radio. It's also alot of the reason a B400 is such a good buy for the money....

Something to think about...

Glenn
Old 07-03-2008, 09:58 PM
HeliStyle

yeah I dont mind the cp pro, I actually found a motor with a smaller pinion made by eflite for the cp pro, eflite now makes them in 10 tooth, 9 tooth and 8 tooth pinions, not sure what the stock out of the box has for a pinion but they are on ebay
Old 07-03-2008, 10:02 PM
HeliStyle

mine has a 9 tooth pinion on it now, you think going down to a 8 would make a big difference overall on the head speed?
Old 07-03-2008, 10:02 PM
rotarydoc

HS,

There is a guy on eBay that reguarly sells them for about $120 plus shipping. He parts out B400's, and is the guy I got my second B400 from, and my motor. Just figured I'd let you know...

But if you are EVEN thinking about a B400 later on, keep in mind that it will come with a DX6i, unless you get like an ARF, or PNP B400...

Food for thought... Glenn

P.S. If you do get a radio, it's a LOT of work and figuring out to set up, but I am sure that everyone here will be helpful in getting it set up...
Old 07-03-2008, 10:04 PM
rotarydoc

HS,

Well, it would deff slow it down, but how much I don't know. I have never tried it. But it's like what, $10 or something? Might be worth a shot, can't hurt, it will deff be an improvement if it slows the head speed, which it will...

Glenn
Old 07-03-2008, 10:05 PM
HeliStyle

i think im just going to order one since its like 8 bucks shipped lol
Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 PM
rotarydoc

HS,

It will definately help. How much, I can't say. But it is a step in the right direction. If you saw mine fly, you could see how low my head speed is, it is very, very low. It makes the heli alot more stable that way. Wouldn't be worth a darn for someone that wants to do 3D stuff...but I have no interest in that at this time...

And there will be those who argue that lower head speeds make a heli less stable...but what the lower head speed does on the CPPin this case is SLOW THE RESPONSE of the cyclic stick, so it becomes more predictable and managable for us inexperienced pilots. So, it does not necessarily make the heli more stable, per se, but it makes it more MANAGABLE...lots of debate on that subject!!

That sounds good I am really curious how you like it when it comes in....I think you will like it. Maybe try the extra flybar weights in the meantime, it will also slow the response some...

Glenn
Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 PM
rotarydoc

HS,

I missed your post on the blades. I didn't realize you are running the sym blades. They will make the heli less stable for two reasons over the HD1141's we were using...flat bottom blades just tend to have better hovering characteristics, and the HD1141's were heavy, thereby adding a gyroscopic effect to the rotor disc...

Yeah, I can do forward flight, figure 8's, nose in hovering, banked turns, etc, with my CPP. It likes doing these things better than just sitting there hovering...it actually flies better than it hovers...

Tonight, it was flying pretty well, but had the usual very unpredictable tail action going on...I have gotten pretty used to it by now, and just end up compensating for it with the left stick....something called "flying the tail" ...

Glenn
Old 07-03-2008, 10:58 PM
evdreamer

ORIGINAL: HeliStyle

I wish I could at least try a belt cp out see if I like it, before I get rid of the cp pro, im not going to sell it yet, I wanna see how tonight is and such
If you lived closer I would let you fly my Belt CP.

Nick
Old 07-03-2008, 11:02 PM
evdreamer

ORIGINAL: rotarydoc

HS,

Did you get any time hovering before it started spinning?

I flew my CPP tonight, it flew pretty well, the tail was whacky, as usual, but I have gotten pretty used to it. It doesn't have enough lift, I have it "calmed down" so much, that it is a little underpowered. But it flew pretty well overall. I still want to try the new DD tail when the CPP2 comes out.

I flew the Quark too, it was a bit windy, and was messing with both the CPP and the Quark, they are both pretty light, and don't handle wind too well. I didn't get my B400 motor yet, so I am faced with a decision tomorrow. To snag the motor out of the spare, just don't fly it, or take a chance and fly it with the bad motor. I guess it all will depend on the weather, if it's nice and calm, I'll probably fly it anyways. Maybe it will show up on Saturday.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get much flying in, that solder job should be easy. Hopefully, you can get it back in the air again this weekend.

Take care,

Glenn
Glenn,

Sorry to hear you didn't get your motor.

HeliStyle,

Glenn is right that a slower head speed really makes a helicopter easier to fly. I flew with almost a 100% flat line curve for the throttle and I had a hard time with that. Now it is slower and easier to control.

Nick
Old 07-03-2008, 11:17 PM
evdreamer

ORIGINAL: HeliStyle

or and is there a actual fm radio that I can lower the head speed with, and use with the stock reciever?
There are a lot of them, but they will start to turn obsolete and all go to 2.4GHz. I really like the 2.4GHz radios mainly the antenna length. It is really small on the transmitter and the receiver compared to an FM system. It makes the helicopter have a clean appearance without an antenna sticking out the side.

Nick
Old 07-03-2008, 11:34 PM
evdreamer

I could shoot some videos of my CPP if you want me too. I use the hiller setup and Glenn has the Bell-Hiller. I also don't know how my headspeed compares to Glenn's CPP, but you might get some idea of how our CPP's fly.

Nick
Old 07-04-2008, 06:14 AM
HeliStyle

yeah that would be sweet, if you could do that I just want to see what it can do, do you think its easier to fly once you get it above the 1 foot mark in the air, some people said its just the bashlash from the wind that makes it hard, some people told me just get it in the air and you will have to problem controlling it, nto sure if thats true or not
Old 07-04-2008, 10:07 AM
rotarydoc

HS,

Yes, that is true about what is called "ground effect" or "rotor wash". The turbulence made by the wind bouncing back off the ground upsets the airflow of the blades, basically. This effect is generally disappears for the most part once the heli is a couple of feet off the ground. The rule of thumb is the distance is the diameter of the rotor blades, which in the case of the CPP about 20 inches. To be safe, if you are 3 feet off the ground, the effect should be minimal, if at all at that height, and hovering becomes much easier.

Thing is, when you are learning, it's hard to make yourself go higher like that, because you are afraid of losing control of the heli. In actuality, the higher you are, the more chance you have to recover from a bad situation before a blade strike with the ground...but this is easier said than done!! Remember, the ground is your enemy!! It's also easier to have the heli go way out of control if you are not used to getting it back to a stable (or semi stable) hover. It can tend to get away from you quickly...which is also not good.

There is no substitute for practicing with the real thing. The sim is great, but it's not the real thing. The best thing I can tell you is get alot of spare parts, and just go out and get as much stick time as you can. It will eventually come to you, and one day, you will be able to hover for longer and longer periods of time. That's when the fun comes in!! Patience is required !! There will be setbacks, and crashes, sure. But when you finally do get the thing to hover well, it's a great feeling!

Good luck, and try to get lots of practice!

Glenn
Old 07-04-2008, 10:45 AM
evdreamer

I just remembered I deleted the model for the CPP in my transmitter. I can do it again. I need to charge my camera batteries and I will try to get it up online tonight.

Nick
Old 07-04-2008, 02:27 PM
evdreamer

I just got done downloading my videos of my CPP and T-Rex on the computer. Now I have to transfer them to my computer and upload them on youtube. So it might be 30 minutes to an hour before they are ready.

Nick
Old 07-04-2008, 05:02 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Nick,

That sounds very cool! I will be looking forward to it when you get them uploaded...

Let us know...

Take care,

Glenn
Old 07-04-2008, 05:14 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

They are taking longer than expected to upload. I gave up on youtube because when the bargraph went to the full position then it went back to empty. It was taking two hours and nothing was happening. Then I went to Vimeo and I got one video up, but it has to process it or something and it sad 9 hours to complete and was going up and not down. So I have no idea when they are going to be ready now. I hope by tonight I can put them up. Sorry for the delay. I couldn't do much with the CPP because it is long due for a new tail motor. Then I got most of the backward figure 8's on the T-Rex video and some stall turns. Since the camera was on a tripod I couldn't have it follow the helicopter. Then I did an auto at the end, but it was more like it just falling because I added positive pitch too soon.

Nick
Old 07-04-2008, 06:08 PM
evdreamer

Here is the CPP video
http://www.vimeo.com/1282491

Here is Part 1 of the T-Rex video
http://www.vimeo.com/1282295

Here is Part 2 of the T-Rex video
http://www.vimeo.com/1282696

Nick
Old 07-04-2008, 09:29 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Wow, those videos are awesome! I really liked your backwards figure 8's! I can barely do front figure 8's yet! The video quality is very good, must be a nice camera...

That vid of the CPP hovering looks eerily familiar!! I have struggled like that many a time with mine, don't feel bad. But it was good considering the wind and the tail motor is shot!

I could see the wind in the trees when you were flying the T-Rex. Looks like it was pretty windy there!

Really nice flying!

Glad you could take the videos and get them posted for us. I hope HeliStyle likes them too.

I have been busy. I just put my spare CPP all back to totally stock, and listed it on eBay.

I had a bad day with my original one, and am ready to get rid of the spare. It is in really good shape, I never really flew it and never crashed it. I am hoping to get $100 for it, we'll see. I did an experiment, I did a one day listing on it. I don't know if enough people will see it, but being a weekend, and it sure looks like some others got alot of bids, maybe I'll do well with it.

I have been heavily researching the Gaui 200, and have learned alot about them. I am going to think about it for the rest of the weekend, and see how I feel about it. It is totally different than anything I have, and it's going to take a fair amount of setup time, even though it's mostly assembled. Apparently, it is very tail heavy, and takes some mods to get the center of gravity at it's best. Some guys are using the T-Rex 450 carbon fiber battery tray, mounted at an angle in the front of the heli.

I'll talk to you soon,

Glenn
Old 07-04-2008, 09:59 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Thanks for the comments on the videos. I am trying to make the backward figure 8 look better. I am slowly getting there. I am just suprised I haven't hit a tree or the neigbors barn/shed. I tend to get very close to them. I would have liked to get the left side where I was flying, but I don't want to risk someone filming if I make a mistake. There is a window that could get the whole thing, but then there would be no sound. I got the camera 5 or 6 years ago. I used to do a lot of filming, but got out of it. Then with the helicopters it is kind of cool to film those so it got me back into it.

The connectors on one of the CPP batterys came out and touched then made a pop, but nothing bad. I got that all worked out and put them back in the JST connector.

It was calm half of my flights then it would pick up for the rest of it. I had to abort some of the moves because the wind put the helicopter in a bad spot.

I really like the Vimeo site. It gives me some idea how long it will take to upload a video and youtube doesn't. I don't think I would ever get one of the videos on youtube. But the videos were really big files.

I hope you get what you ask for on the CPP and maybe put it towards the GAUI 200?

Maybe I can get some one to film me at the baseball field some day.

I am thinking about getting a battery or two with the money I got from selling stuff. Then the extra parts to finish the Belt CP off.

Hope your next helicopter is everything you want it to be.

Nick
Old 07-04-2008, 10:20 PM
HeliStyle

well I took the cp pro out today, only went through one battery, tryed hovering and such but wasnt to successful, broke the landing gear and chipped one of the blades,ahh lol Im just going to wait for the new motor to come in for it, with the 8 tooth pinion before I attempt anything else, nice videos of the trex and cp pro, can you do alot more with the trex then you can do with the cp pro? also rotarydoc let me know what your cp pro sells for, I just ordered, landing skids and some other odds and ends for the cp pro.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.