Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 07:22 AM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sent to Mr Baker, I believe at the Florida location. I liked the communication level and the very prompt service. It was great to have a week turn around give or take a day. I got back pictures and a video of the engine running.

I have another Moki 150 that I will be sending to him after I get a bit more time on it.

Whit

Originally Posted by Edbaker
Jaketab. I am located in Florida 10 months of the year. Please email your wish list and I'll see if I can help you out. Thanks
Old 03-08-2023, 05:20 PM
Jaketab
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Question - Now that there is no longer a source for SEP props in the USA, what brand and source of wood props is a good match for Moki 250 and 300.
I liked the SEP props because they placed a sufficient load on the engine.
Looking for a good warbird prop for a 250cc Texan.

Thanks - J Tab
Old 03-09-2023, 03:19 AM
fatfreddy17
My Feedback: (43)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Solo adjustable props are made from Maple.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:30 AM
Edbaker
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CARF Models has Sep propsin stock in the US. Contact Ray Labonte
29 x 14 - S180
32 x 18 - S250
34 x 18 - S300

Old 03-21-2023, 06:55 PM
rcguy5

Hey guys, just wanted to read anybody's input with a recent change I made to my moki.

I’ve got a moki 150 with about 4-5 hours of bench run time on it. I’m using rainbowtronic ignition with original cm-6 spark plugs and modified the intake tube by installing a swirl generator out of a propane torch nozzle. With that mod, well adjusted needles, dominator 50:1 and a sep 26x16 prop the engine starts easy, purrs at a 900rpm idle, transitions beautifully, peaks out at 5000rpm and runs on all cylinders with close temps between them. Can’t ask for anything more right? Well I decided to try rcexl iridium plugs I got off alibaba gapped to .4mm. I ran the engine to warm it up and then swapped the plugs to get a real world comparison. For the first minute it ran well but soon after started to hesitate on acceleration, wouldn’t get to full power and would quit when closer to idle. I tried richening the low end at that point thinking it might need a bit more fuel but that didn’t help. It was much harder to start with the iridium plugs when it quit and wouldn’t continue running after starting. I decided to put the ngk plugs back in with the low needle set back to where it was and boom, back to normal.

It’s interesting that it ran well for a minute and then not. I’m guessing once the plugs heated up is when the trouble started. I’ve read in threads that the iridium plugs might give that little bit of a hotter spark that’s needed for four stroke radials to improve on any cylinder that might misfire. I believe though that may be referring to the denso iridium plugs that used to be available. Any thoughts on my situation with rcexl iridium plugs, why they behaved that way when swapped in with no other changes?

I’m more curious than anything as I plan to keep using the cm-6 plugs from now on.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-29-2023, 07:53 AM
GeorgiaFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaketab
Question - Now that there is no longer a source for SEP props in the USA, what brand and source of wood props is a good match for Moki 250 and 300.
I liked the SEP props because they placed a sufficient load on the engine.
Looking for a good warbird prop for a 250cc Texan.

Thanks - J Tab
I know its not in the US but they will ship here. I bought one direct from SEP took about 5 weeks to get. MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence
Old 03-29-2023, 08:59 AM
Jaketab

Originally Posted by GeorgiaFlyer
I know its not in the US but they will ship here. I bought one direct from SEP took about 5 weeks to get. MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence
Thanks. Just found out that Ray Labonte/ CARF has limited supply in stock now. Ordered a 32 x 18.

J Tab
Old 04-03-2023, 11:48 AM
Jaketab

FYI. Just passing on some prop rpm data. Finally able to get outside tune up and test run my 12-year-old Moki 250 today. I recorded the rpms of 5 different props. Unfortunately, I did not have a scale to measure the thrust. The engine is still preforming very well with the original top hat ignition and running a fuel pump. The rpm data used the same carb needle settings for all 5 props.

1. Xoar Laminated 32x18: 4820-40. This prop is used on a 54lb Delro Wendall-Williams Turner. Very nice prop.
2. SEP Scale 32x18: 4530 All other props are used on a CARF AT-6 Texan. The Xoar Laminated 32x18 and the SEP Scale 32x18 are my favorite props for the Texan.
3. SEP Scale 32x19: 4230
4. SEP Scale 30x20: 4760
5. SEP Hamilton: 3940 Worst preforming prop on the Texan.

Have a Biela Carbon 32x22 and will test run at a later date. This prop will load the 250 and would be better suited for a Moki 300.
Also have a Falcon WWII 32x18, but prop is defective and waiting for a replacement.

Regards - J Tab

Old 04-07-2023, 06:18 AM
rcguy5

Anyone have any experience with those plugs and similar situation?

I’m not going to use them but curious as to why they would make the engine behave like that.

Mike

Originally Posted by rcguy5
Hey guys, just wanted to read anybody's input with a recent change I made to my moki.

I’ve got a moki 150 with about 4-5 hours of bench run time on it. I’m using rainbowtronic ignition with original cm-6 spark plugs and modified the intake tube by installing a swirl generator out of a propane torch nozzle. With that mod, well adjusted needles, dominator 50:1 and a sep 26x16 prop the engine starts easy, purrs at a 900rpm idle, transitions beautifully, peaks out at 5000rpm and runs on all cylinders with close temps between them. Can’t ask for anything more right? Well I decided to try rcexl iridium plugs I got off alibaba gapped to .4mm. I ran the engine to warm it up and then swapped the plugs to get a real world comparison. For the first minute it ran well but soon after started to hesitate on acceleration, wouldn’t get to full power and would quit when closer to idle. I tried richening the low end at that point thinking it might need a bit more fuel but that didn’t help. It was much harder to start with the iridium plugs when it quit and wouldn’t continue running after starting. I decided to put the ngk plugs back in with the low needle set back to where it was and boom, back to normal.

It’s interesting that it ran well for a minute and then not. I’m guessing once the plugs heated up is when the trouble started. I’ve read in threads that the iridium plugs might give that little bit of a hotter spark that’s needed for four stroke radials to improve on any cylinder that might misfire. I believe though that may be referring to the denso iridium plugs that used to be available. Any thoughts on my situation with rcexl iridium plugs, why they behaved that way when swapped in with no other changes?

I’m more curious than anything as I plan to keep using the cm-6 plugs from now on.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-07-2023, 06:49 AM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

FYI. Just passing on some prop rpm data. Finally able to get outside tune up and test run my 12-year-old Moki 250 today. I recorded the rpms of 5 different props. Unfortunately, I did not have a scale to measure the thrust. The engine is still preforming very well with the original top hat ignition and running a fuel pump. The rpm data used the same carb needle settings for all 5 props.

1. Xoar Laminated 32x18: 4820-40. This prop is used on a 54lb Delro Wendall-Williams Turner. Very nice prop.
2. SEP Scale 32x18: 4530 All other props are used on a CARF AT-6 Texan. The Xoar Laminated 32x18 and the SEP Scale 32x18 are my favorite props for the Texan.
3. SEP Scale 32x19: 4230
4. SEP Scale 30x20: 4760
5. SEP Hamilton: 3940 Worst preforming prop on the Texan.

Have a Biela Carbon 32x22 and will test run at a later date. This prop will load the 250 and would be better suited for a Moki 300.
Also have a Falcon WWII 32x18, but prop is defective and waiting for a replacement.

Regards - J Tab
My experience with my three Moki's is that with proper care, not at high throttle most of the time, good oil and cooling they will last a long time. One of my 215's has over three hundred flights and shows no wear. In fact it keeps running better! Here is my new plane with the 257 Moki, a Messerschmitt M35

Old 04-08-2023, 04:13 AM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey Tom beautiful set up.. quick unrelated question on this forum but quickly. Do you have real world thrust data for the old Evolution 7-77 ?
Old 04-08-2023, 04:40 AM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

No I do not have that data but! I have found this to be helpful for all engines; Estimate Propeller Static Thrust
My experience is that trying different propellors is the way to improve performance. Some are great and others are lousy!!!
Old 04-08-2023, 06:58 AM
Hyjinx

Hey Tom beautiful set up, quick unrelated question on this forum but I believe you know of this question.. Do you have real world thrust data for the old Evolution 7-77 running nitro? I tried to sell mine and couldn't get a reasonable offering. I am converting to gas radials. Gonna remount the EVO and fly it again.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:02 AM
Hyjinx

[QUOTE=Hyjinx;12768403
Thanks Tom. Sorry for the double posting on the same question on the wrong forum..
Apologies to all Moki enthusiasts. Of which I am also.
Old 04-09-2023, 05:16 AM
ReneAlv
My Feedback: (5)

Another satisfy customer of the new Moki Service center: MOKI RADIAL SERVICE USA LLC
Jim Baker
email [email protected]
Website mokiradialserviceusa.com
207-318-3524

Lucky for me I am only one hour away, so I deliver the engine (Moki 180 radial) to Jim Baker and withing one day I got an email from Jim explaining the result of his findings, with photos, excellent communication and advice on how to proceed. Within one week I have now my engine back on my Yak 54. Rene
The following users liked this post:
GeorgiaFlyer (04-11-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 08:34 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by ReneAlv
Another satisfy customer of the new Moki Service center: MOKI RADIAL SERVICE USA LLC
Jim Baker
email [email protected]
207-318-3524

Lucky for me I am only one hour away, so I deliver the engine (Moki 180 radial) to Jim Baker and withing one day I got an email from Jim explaining the result of his findings, with photos, excellent communication and advice on how to proceed. Within one week I have now my engine back on my Yak 54. Rene
Valuable post. Thank you
Old 05-06-2023, 08:18 PM
K Rohrbach

Originally Posted by ReneAlv
Jim Baker
email [email protected]
207-318-3524

This is awesome news as I'm a new Moki 250 owner going in the comp Corsair!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2023, 05:01 AM
tziger

Hello everyone,

i have seen before in the thread that the ignition sensor cable is a weak point on the Mokis.
Last Sunday i went to perform the first flight of a model and the engine did not start.
Went home and start checking. The moment i touched the cable it come off clean from the connector at the side of the ignition.
I found the connector on the web and ordered a bunch of them. It was not difficult to replace it with great care but a question bothered me.
What do i have to do not to have the same problem in the future, and off course if it happens on the air then...

Then my wife had a great idea.
There is a heat shrink that is passed in the strain relief of the connector.
I entered into the heat shrink a piece of 20mm length 1mm diameter carbon rod through the strain relief. This way the cable is rigid when it leaves the connector.
I hope it will help more people to avoid the risk.
I am using a photo that is already used since i did not take a photo of my connector. Pass the rod into the transparent heat shrink. In my case it was black.

Best regards,
Lawrence

Last edited by tziger; 06-03-2023 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:44 AM
tziger

Hello everyone,
i would like to ask how to you secure the spark plug cables from touching the exhaust tubes. I have covered them with plastic spiral and then hold them with tie raps on the inlet tubes.
Is this ok?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Lawrence
Old 06-03-2023, 10:52 AM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default cables

Originally Posted by tziger
Hello everyone,
i would like to ask how to you secure the spark plug cables from touching the exhaust tubes. I have covered them with plastic spiral and then hold them with tie raps on the inlet tubes.
Is this ok?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Lawrence
Hi Lawrence-
I also have mine covered in spiral wrap, but I do not have them attached to the intake tubes. Two airplanes like this, and so far so good.
Cheers-Mike O.
Old 06-20-2023, 05:13 AM
Jaketab

Hello,
I'm in need of a motor mount for a Moki 250. Plane was involved in a crash, but fortunately the only damage to engine was loss of 3 pushrods and a broken rear motor mount.
Please PM if you have the part and willing to sell.

Thanks - J Tab
Old 06-21-2023, 03:40 AM
Edbaker

Hello,
I'm in need of a motor mount for a Moki 250. Plane was involved in a crash, but fortunately the only damage to engine was loss of 3 pushrods and a broken rear motor mount.
Please PM if you have the part and willing to sell.

Thanks - J Tab
I don't have the mount but plan to get some in my next order. I can let you know when I have this if you still need one. Thanks
Old 06-21-2023, 04:09 AM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Pushrods ?

Originally Posted by Edbaker
I don't have the mount but plan to get some in my next order. I can let you know when I have this if you still need one. Thanks
Ed, do you have pushrods in stock ?
thanks-Mike O
Old 06-21-2023, 04:30 AM
Edbaker

Originally Posted by IFLYBVM2
Ed, do you have pushrods in stock ?
thanks-Mike O
I do 26.20 ea
Old 06-21-2023, 12:10 PM
K Rohrbach

Just sent my Moki 250 back to Jim Baker in Florida the USA service center for Moki. Pleased to report that service was great and Jim got my engine back to working and it was a warranty issue. Thank you Jim!!!
PS. I forgot he also included sending me photos of the work done and also a video of it running, not what is awesome service. And as mentioned he has great communication and keeping you in the loop.

Last edited by K Rohrbach; 06-21-2023 at 12:25 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.