Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Centurion update

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 11:19 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Considdering a Tamiya Centurian from japan is 820 plus 100 shipping ish, to me it seems no brainer buy the Tamiya. Haya needs to be in the 550 range price point to compete.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:59 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Considdering a Tamiya Centurian from japan is 820 plus 100 shipping ish, to me it seems no brainer buy the Tamiya. Haya needs to be in the 550 range price point to compete.
Hayas Pre-order price is £458 which is $554.73 and that is a very decent
price for a viable Tamiya alternative which has the available upgrades to take it from a Mk 3 to a Mk 5 and beyond unlike the Tamiya.
To me the extra cost will be a new control board if the original is a Clark.
Old 11-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jarndice
Hayas Pre-order price is £458 which is $554.73 and that is a very decent
price for a viable Tamiya alternative which has the available upgrades to take it from a Mk 3 to a Mk 5 and beyond unlike the Tamiya.
To me the extra cost will be a new control board if the original is a Clark.
$554 is not a bad price, but with an additional $150 shipping(?) to the US like was the case with the Chieftain that would put it around the $700 mark and I would still need to replace the Clark systems with something more to my liking. All in all pretty close to what a Tamiya from Japan with free shipping to the US costs. Kinda want to see what the post pre sale price is for various reasons like many others have experienced in the past, not necessarily with Haya, but in the industry in general.

Its going to be a tough decision, one is a known commodity, the other looks like they listened and took the time to get it right.

Old 11-24-2022, 04:43 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Jarndice
Indeed, that comment was based on an earlier pic, which this new video has put to rest - a change I was happy to see

And yes, fully agree the unscrewable barrel is great, makes working on the turret & hull considerably easier on my Chieftain.

About the skirts, they provided two levels of protection - from long range by eliminating the shadow cast by the suspension, they made a stationary Cent much harder to spot, and close in the protect the hull from shaped charges. But as with most things, there are pro's & cons

Mal

Last edited by afv aficionado; 11-24-2022 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Extra comment
Old 11-24-2022, 04:49 PM
afv aficionado

Hi Jardice
Do you have a link to that price? Have been checking the Haya site, but still haven't seen it mentioned?

Mal
Old 11-24-2022, 05:04 PM
afv aficionado

Two things - it's more of an unknown to me than Haya
And whoever assembled the TD Cent wasn't familiar with the vehicle - the air deflector at the rear is installed upside down - and no that's not a Down Under thing, & the Tow hooks & Clevis's are missing from the Bow.
More of an issue - haven't seen the internals as yet

Mal
Old 11-24-2022, 11:14 PM
jarndice

Originally Posted by afv aficionado
Hi Jardice
Do you have a link to that price? Have been checking the Haya site, but still haven't seen it mentioned?

Mal
I think the Pre-order price is mentioned in one of the U-Tube videos if not then from someone with a close association of Haya's who is a member of the rctankwarfare forum who keeps them up to speed on such matters.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:33 PM
afv aficionado

Ok Thanks
Old 11-25-2022, 01:16 AM
jarndice

Originally Posted by afv aficionado
Ok Thanks
I have since checked and it was the main man himself Andrew Haya who quoted the price, Hope that sorts it out.
Old 11-25-2022, 01:21 AM
jarndice

Originally Posted by Fsttanks
$554 is not a bad price, but with an additional $150 shipping(?) to the US like was the case with the Chieftain that would put it around the $700 mark and I would still need to replace the Clark systems with something more to my liking. All in all pretty close to what a Tamiya from Japan with free shipping to the US costs. Kinda want to see what the post pre sale price is for various reasons like many others have experienced in the past, not necessarily with Haya, but in the industry in general.

Its going to be a tough decision, one is a known commodity, the other looks like they listened and took the time to get it right.
If you are in the USA you will save yourself 19% VAT (Value added tax) which the inhabitants of the UK will have to pay so that must surely help with your postal charges.
So after deducting 19% you should be paying $448.85 plus postage.

Last edited by jarndice; 11-25-2022 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:15 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Haya Centurion Pre-Order

So, build the Tamiya Centurion or get the Haya was my debate. I recieved an offer on Facebook this morning.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 11-25-2022 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:24 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Default Haya Centurion Pre-Order

The pre-order cost, delivered, around the end of January 2023,is $565.34USD. In the old days I would have built the Tamiya Centurion. This RTR looks tempting and my interests have changed. So, I ordered the Haya Centurion after following the pros and cons here.

Pre-Ordered one today.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 11-25-2022 at 12:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pcomm1.v2:
jarndice (11-25-2022), RichJohnson (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 09:25 AM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jarndice
If you are in the USA you will save yourself 19% VAT (Value added tax) which the inhabitants of the UK will have to pay so that must surely help with your postal charges.
So after deducting 19% you should be paying $448.85 plus postage.
Yes and no. If I/we use PayPal to pay I will get charged sales tax of 8.5% (not everyone payed this with PayPal but where I live we do) and then if CC direct pay there is the hit or miss possibility of import duties on top of everything else especially if it’s not sent FedEx or UPS and our postal service gets their hands into the delivery mix. The size and weight of tank boxes seems to draw their attention LOL. It doesn’t always happen but enough to be concerned about and factored into the potential total cost.

Same thing applies when buying direct from Japan although the import duties happen less often then from England or Europe. Probably because I am on our West Coast and fewer eyes have time to see it LOL.

With tax and possible import duties it’s either 8.5% or close to 20% ontop for either tank. Just don’t know until it is delivered or I get the pick up at our facility notice with fees due.

Right now I am starting to lean more heavily toward the Haya vs another Tamiya Centurion. The more I see and learn about it the more it appears to offer.

The following users liked this post:
Pcomm1.v2 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 10:42 AM
Pcomm1.v2

1. USA Import Duty Requirements: The minimum threshold for import tax is $800. Goods valued below that are not subject to duty.

2. USA Federal and State Taxes: “
Our new Constitution is now established, everything seems to promise it will be durable; but, in this world, nothing is certain except death and taxes.”
Ben Franklin

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 11-25-2022 at 10:46 AM.
tankme (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 02:15 PM
king_tubby

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2
The pre-order cost, delivered, around the end of January 2023,is $565.34USD. In the old days I would have built the Tamiya Centurion. This RTR looks tempting and my interests have changed. So, I ordered the Haya Centurion after following the pros and cons here.

Pre-Ordered one today.
Site says that pre-orders come with the later style turret roof and two crew figures. Was that confirmed with your order?
Old 11-25-2022, 02:55 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Yes. The fine print offer:
Why Pre Order :
1. Save More Than 100 pounds ! All Pre Orders Is Cheaper And Will Have FREE Parts Including
(1) MK5 Turret Top To Convert into MK5.
(2) Tank Figures x 2
(3) Pre Order Must End Jan 11, 2023 and Price Will Increase.
(4) Dispatch Time is around Jan 20-31, 2023 . Please Kindly Understand That We Can Not Guarantee The Exact Date At This Stage Because Of The Uncertain Container Vessel Docking Date & The On-going Strict Lockdown Policy In China.

For Orders From Outside The UK , There Is No VAT Involved Here in the UK , Which Means The Price is £ 458.33.
king_tubby (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 03:23 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm seriously considering ordering one as I'm not so sure about Tamiya lately due to them discontinuing most of their tanks and the parts drying up to fix the ones already out there. I've been trying to find a Sheridan full op, but I've seen a couple of static ones converted so that might be the route I go instead.
Pcomm1.v2 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 04:14 PM
RichJohnson

Originally Posted by tankme
I'm seriously considering ordering one as I'm not so sure about Tamiya lately due to them discontinuing most of their tanks and the parts drying up to fix the ones already out there. I've been trying to find a Sheridan full op, but I've seen a couple of static ones converted so that might be the route I go instead.

I wouldn’t do that. Just find one on eBay or at a shop that still has it. Your not going to get the mfu dmd11 and it’s components from Tamiya at this point. They are gone.
Old 11-25-2022, 04:21 PM
RichJohnson

Yes. The fine print offer:
Why Pre Order :
1. Save More Than 100 pounds ! All Pre Orders Is Cheaper And Will Have FREE Parts Including
(1) MK5 Turret Top To Convert into MK5.
(2) Tank Figures x 2
(3) Pre Order Must End Jan 11, 2023 and Price Will Increase.
(4) Dispatch Time is around Jan 20-31, 2023 . Please Kindly Understand That We Can Not Guarantee The Exact Date At This Stage Because Of The Uncertain Container Vessel Docking Date & The On-going Strict Lockdown Policy In China.

For Orders From Outside The UK , There Is No VAT Involved Here in the UK , Which Means The Price is £ 458.33.
Thats really not a bad price if that’s the final cost plus shipping to the US.
I will say this, from what I know and have seen through my private communications, I believe the the TD tanks are going to be low grade toys that may not be very easy to upgrade and their details are on the mediocre side for sure. Remember you get what you pay for and his target price was $200. I don’t think your going to get much for that kinda money.
king_tubby (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 05:05 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Rich,
TD tanks, is that the M-60 your referring too? Considered the Tamiya Centurion, but I do not trust their new RC Tank kits after the Type 10 and Abrams builds. Plus parts availability to maintain them is sketchy and the underwhelming newer kit engineering is sad, which as you know is not to say building and painting a kit is not fun.

If the Haya Centurion is a disappointment I will let you all know, but I will give it a shot and learn it’s new systems, well new to me. Total delivered cost to me is $565.34USD
The Haya invoice is in British money.
John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 11-25-2022 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2022, 05:21 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I wouldn’t do that. Just find one on eBay or at a shop that still has it. Your not going to get the mfu dmd11 and it’s components from Tamiya at this point. They are gone.
I've looked Rich, no one has them. I found one on Amazon, but it was like $1500. I realize I won't be able to get the DMD, but oh well. With parts availability it might just be better to build it with parts that are available.
Old 11-25-2022, 09:34 PM
RichJohnson

Rich,
TD tanks, is that the M-60 your referring too? Considered the Tamiya Centurion, but I do not trust their new RC Tank kits after the Type 10 and Abrams builds. Plus parts availability to maintain them is sketchy and the underwhelming newer kit engineering is sad, which as you know is not to say building and painting a kit is not fun.

If the Haya Centurion is a disappointment I will let you all know, but I will give it a shot and learn it’s new systems, well new to me. Total delivered cost to me is $565.34USD
The Haya invoice is in British money.
John

yes the M60 and Centurion by Tongde and Coolbank models jointly. That’s what I’m speaking of.

However John, I have seen a few Tamiya Centurian now and man are they nice well engineered models. I know Fsttanks drives his really hard and so far has not needed any spares. All he had done is break a couple track ends off which the real ones did sometimes.

Those of us serious guys know to stock up on needed spares for our nice builds, I have stocked up on Tamiya Sherman parts since I’m so invested there, I have many packs of rubber tires to last my models years into the future as well as about six or seven sets of new track and trannys gear packs as I seem to chew them up more than most though I have come up with a way to fit better trannys in now.
Same with the Leopard 1 tanks I seem to like so much. Spares for the chassis and even new rubber tires.
Eventually we should see spares for the centurion available from Tamiya when their production catches up.

just remember that Haya comes with a Clark board. Which I would toss to the resale bin instantly as it’s not worth me using, I know you have disliked their controls as well in the past, so right now the only option is graft in a Tamiya system if you have one or buy a henglong radio and mfu which I have seen people doing since the new 7 and 7.1 are so good.
I myself an saddened at the lack of good aftermarket systems available any more. The DKTank seems to work great ins skid steer mode but not in modern tank driving mode at all. It’s calibration is off bad on one side. So I may move some DKT boards into Sherman’s and salvage those IBu2s and use them for more modern projects but they are aging and I’ve already had one fail it’s IR battle damage scoring but still drive.
Im waiting for the Tamiya DMD11s from the centurian to come in stock for use in my leopards.
Pcomm1.v2 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 10:18 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Thanks Rich. I have customized serval HLs as Tamiya FO TBU Tanks. So, looks like you have outlined a new project for me plus buying a Tamiya Centurion Kit. I did that with the HL Abrams, customized it to FO and then bought a Tamiya Abrams RC Kit, fun and excessive. Since you purchased from Hooben I suspect you aren’t all that serious a modeler, but more a risk taker. Send me your new Centurion barrel and invoice me when you have them to sell. John

Tamiya FO.

HL Custom.

HL Custom

HL TBU Custom.

HL Custom.

HL FO Custom

HL TBU Custom.

HL Custm

HL Custom

My Tamiya Keepers

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 11-25-2022 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Customized.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:54 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

just remember that Haya comes with a Clark board. Which I would toss to the resale bin.
​​Didn't Rad mention a new board a couple of months ago? My hippie brain is having trouble dredging up the information, but I believe it was coming from a friend of his over in Europe. Have we heard any more about that, or has anyone tried one? That might be a good solution if it's a decent board. Or at least better than clark. What I wouldn't give for a box full of IBU green boards.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:18 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
​​Didn't Rad mention a new board a couple of months ago? My hippie brain is having trouble dredging up the information, but I believe it was coming from a friend of his over in Europe. Have we heard any more about that, or has anyone tried one? That might be a good solution if it's a decent board. Or at least better than clark. What I wouldn't give for a box full of IBU green boards.
I think it's the latest offering from bier that you're thinking of

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.